The rules for running a business from home vary from Municipality to Municipality and even from surburb to suburb.  Generally one can run a business from home providing the parking allowances have been met (usually 4 parking bays), if there is a permanent resident in the house and so long as there are no goods sold to the public.  There may be restrictions on signage that you will need to check on.  In order to run a business from home you will need to have the property rezoned to business or special use.